Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Running on Paleo (Day 1 Recap)

So, I've decided to go Paleo!! I know I have some kind of lactose intolerance, but I also know there is something else, I'm just not sure what. In college, I used to have an issue ANYTIME I ate, I immediately got "sick" within 10 mins of finishing my meal and had to race to the nearest restroom. I've also always had that bloated feeling after consuming pasta and had to REALLY plan my meals to accommodate my pasta fueling before my half marathons. Just ask my sister, how inconvenient this issue was lol.

It may have very well been the 100th time I've received the email from Runner's World promoting the "Paleo for the Athlete" book that did it, but I'm googling this way of eating like crazy and it's really hitting home. So I figured it can't hurt to try it. I did do Atkins back when it was all the hype and managed to lose quite a bit of weight and I've always been more of a wheat/brown option to the regular white options when it came to bread, pasta, rice, etc, so it can't be that bad. I do love veggies and my protein! The only gripe I really had while doing Atkins was I still wanted fruit and hello, I can have unlimited (within reason) quantities of fruit on paleo and I already know I'm lactose intolerant, so giving up dairy is not really going to be an issue. Paleo it is!!! I sure did pick a great day to start though, today is bagel day at work and we all know I love me some unhealthy carbs, but I will do this!! I only went to hot yoga last night so I could get to the grocery store and cook today's meals. So here is my menu for the day.

Breakfast:
Yellow squash, zucchini fried in nitrate free bacon grease
Bacon crumbles fried on their own

Lunch: 
Beef roast, (pre "browned" with Olive oil and white onions)
Asparagus (broiled in over with Olive oil, sea salt and pepper)
Limited sweet potatoes (I've never been a sweet potato fan, but went ahead and baked them in with the beef roast) Just as I predicted, I didn't consume much of the sweet potatoes.....

Snacks: 
Pistachios

Dinner: 
Cubed Cantaloupe
Strawberries
Sliced Almonds

Workout: 
1 hr of hot yoga at 6am (fire series)
Ran 4 miles at the gym. (after work)


RECAP: 
I did notice that I was a bit lethargic during my run. I just wanted to get it done and it was like using everything I had to not quit. When I was leaving the gym, I was slightly nauseous.  I also usually walk my dogs for 2.5 miles when I get home and I was NOT up for that AT ALL!! Towards the end of the evening, even after I had the fruit, I noticed a slight headache. I did go to sleep super early


No comments:

Post a Comment